Are you Eligible?
Please check yourself against this short Eligibility Check Questionnaire below before you sign up:
- Are you less than 17 years old?
- Are you over 65 years old and have never given blood in the UK before?
- Are you less than 50kg in weight?
Are you pregnant?
Have you had a baby in the last 6 months?
Have you given blood in the last 16 weeks (4 months)?
Have you given blood in the last 12 weeks (3 months)?
- Have you had hepatitis or jaundice in the last 12 months?
- Are you an insulin dependent diabetic?
- Do you have anaemia?
- Do you or have you ever had syphilis, HIV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C or HTLV (Human Tlymphotropic Virus)?
- Have you ever injected yourself with drugs? This includes body-building drugs or cosmetics.
- Have you had acupuncture in the last 4 months that was not done within the NHS?
- Have you had a tattoo, piercing or semi-permanent make-up in the last 4 months?
- Have you ever had CJD (Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease)?
- Have any of your parents, siblings or children had CJD?
- Have you have ever received human pituitary extract?
- Have you received blood/blood transfusion anywhere in the world since January 1980?
- Have you travelled to one of the following countries in the last 6 months?
India (except Jammu and Kashmir)
Central and South America
- Have you been unwell since returning from Turkey in the last 6 month?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions then you will unfortunately not be able to give blood
Full details can be found at https://www.blood.co.uk/who-can-give-blood/
If you have any concerns or are unsure then please call the NHSBT helpline on 0300 123 23 23 or ask one of our campaign volunteers who may be able to assist.
If you answer ‘No’ then you’re most likely suitable, however be aware that if you develop an illness or take certain medication in the days before donation day, you may become ineligible.
If you have already registered for an appointment and you discover you are not eligible to donate, please let us know you are cancelling your appointment by emailing email@example.com as soon as possible.